[Beowulf] Small files

Tom Harvill tom.harvill at unl.edu
Wed Jun 11 12:03:28 PDT 2014

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this list, thanks in advance for any
time you spend
replying.

We've found that a large majority of our files (~40MM of ~50MM) are less
than 10KB.
We believe our filesystem (lustre) is bottlenecked with IOPs and locking
related to
jobs running against these files.  We have ~700TB usable storage with
~500TB consumed,
almost all consumption is by a relatively small number of very very
large files.

I want to ask this general question: how does your shop deal with the
general problem of
small files in filesystems on (beowulf) compute clusters? Specifically,
files that users expect
to actively use for read and write operations for their research.

Do you distinguish and segregate them (and/or the people that use them)
on special
hardware/filesystems?

Thanks!
Tom