[Beowulf] Power draw of cluster nodes under heavy load

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 28 11:55:38 PDT 2014

On 07/28/2014 01:29 PM, Jeff White wrote:
> Power draw will vary greatly depending on many factors.  Where I am at
> we currently have 16 racks of HPC equipment (compute nodes, storage,
> network gear, etc.) using about 140kVA but can use up to 160 kVA.  A
> single rack with 26 compute nodes each with 64 cores worth of AMD 6276
> (Supermicro boxes) is using about 18 kW across the PDUs, 3 phase at
> 240 volts, with most of the nodes at 100% CPU usage.

Agreed there's a lot of variability. Since I don't exactly what's going
in my new space yet, I'm looking for everyone's input to come up with an
average, or ballpark amount. the 5 - 10 kW one vendor specified seems
waaaay too low for a rack of high-density HPC nodes running at or near
100% utilization.