[Beowulf] I'm so glad I didn't buy one of these

James Cuff james_cuff at harvard.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:37:54 PDT 2014

Let this be a lesson to us all.

Repeat after me:

"Top 500 scores mean nothing!"

As a community we have to stop this madness!  100k / day.  Sigh.

J.

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014, Jeff Johnson <jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com>
wrote:

> $100,000 (USD) per day to operate, users get billed.
>
>     "It's like a giant with a super body but without the software to
>     support its thinking soul," Chi said. Some users would need years or
>     even a decade to write the necessary code, he added.
>
> Ouch...
>
> On 7/2/14, 2:21 PM, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> > On 07/ 3/14 04:17 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> >> If they want to spend a bazillion dollars to run hpl faster than anyone
> >> else who am I to stop them.
> >>
> >> If however they want to do real science perhaps they need to architect
> >> something more manageable.
> >>
> >> They should bust that thing up into 3 or 4 clusters.

> http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1543226/chinas-world-beating-supercomputer-fails-imp
> >>>
> > replied too fast the above link gets cut
> > So paste "ress-some-potential-clients" at the end or here it is again
> >
> http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1543226/chinas-world-beating-supercomputer-fails-impress-some-potential-clients
> >

> --
> ------------------------------
> Jeff Johnson
> Co-Founder
> Aeon Computing
>
> jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com <javascript:;>
> www.aeoncomputing.com
> t: 858-412-3810 x1001   f: 858-412-3845
> m: 619-204-9061
>
> 4170 Morena Boulevard, Suite D - San Diego, CA 92117
>
> High-performance Computing / Lustre Filesystems / Scale-out Storage

dr. james cuff, assistant dean for research computing, harvard university |
division of science | thirty eight oxford street, cambridge. ma. 02138 | +1
617 384 7647 | http://rc.fas.harvard.edu