[Beowulf] cloudy HPC?

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 13:24:41 PST 2014

Hi Mark,

interesting thread, specially as I wanted to ask something similar.

We are currently looking here into the possibility to do an off-site data
centre for ??? (we don't know yet) and we also have to build a new data centre
as the old one is in the way of a to be build (?) train line.

Anyhow, similar to Mark's question: if you want to build a data centre from
scratch in London, i.e. a densely populated area where floor space is an issue,
what would be important to you?
Virtualisation (for HPC number crunching)?
Energy saving?
50 kW racks?
Two data centres for resiliance/fail-over?
Trying out new and emerging technologies like the Iceotope cooling?
Data security?
Or forget all of that and use the cloud for number crunching HPC?

I know all of that is somehow important.

As Mark is asking similar questions I thought we might merge that into one
thread instead of two interwoven ones.

All the best from a nearly flooded UK :D

Jörg