[Beowulf] Mutiple IB networks in one cluster

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 11:51:39 PST 2014

On 30 January 2014 16:33, Prentice Bisbal <prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Beowulfers,
>
> I was talking to a colleague the other day about cluster architecture and
> big data, and this colleague was thinking that it would be good to have two
> separate FDR IB clusters within a single cluster: one for message-passing,
> and the other purely for data movement. I'm a bit skeptical of this myself.
> I was always under the impression that IB has more than enough bandwidth for
> message-passing and I/O. I have some questions about this idea:
>
> 1. Does this make sense?

The only project that I have been involved in where we thought about
this kind of architecture was for Quantum Chromo Dynamics. If your
application is heavily interconnect and IO bound then there might be
some value in it however these kinds of applications are somewhat
rare.

ConnectX 3 has excellent QoS which would probably be a more
cost-effective way of engineering it.

What is your application?