[Beowulf] List admin away until 5th January

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Dec 23 20:13:21 PST 2014

Hi all,

The University of Melbourne closes from today until the 5th January so
I'll be away and not paying as much attention as usual to email until
then, so I may not notice queries about or issues with the Beowulf list
until the new year.

Hope everyone has a nice seasonal festival of their choice, and remember
that December 26th is the 0xDF anniversary of the birth of Charles
Babbage, who as well as having something to do with computers was also
able to demonstrate that confused users are not a new problem:

# On two occasions I have been asked, – "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you
# put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
# out?"  In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member
# of the Lower House put this question. I am not able rightly to
# apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
# a question.

:-)

All the best,
Chris