[Beowulf] mpi slow pairs

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Sun Aug 31 12:45:22 PDT 2014

I believe in this context, the parking lot problem refers to the problem of
cars leaving a parking lot via one exit, with a tree of merge points before the exit.
If each merge is "fair" then a particular flow sees a bandwidth of 1/(2**n) where
n is the number of merge points to the exit.

(Try getting off the roof deck of the Boston Science Museum parking garage at closing
time!)

This is talked about in Dally and Towles
Principles of Interconnection Networks, my copy of which is at the office...

This is an effect that only happens when there are a lot of flows, and there is
congestion in the network somewhere.

In IB, if I understand IB correctly, which is unlikely, congestion happens if you
have, for example, a fat-tree which is not non-blocking (1/2 or 1/4 non-blocking)
or if the sum of the flows <to a particular node> exceeds that nodes input link.  In
these circumstances, flows which have fewer hops will get more bandwidth than flows
which have more.  In addition, flows which happen to use links congested by these slow
flows will also become slow, for example due to head-of-line blocking or full switch buffers.

None of these effects should be visible in a pairwise bandwidth test, which would only
have one flow at a time in the network.  Instead, the pairwise test ought to reveal
slow pairs that cross, day, links with high error rates or bad switch ports.

Such testing might give confusing results if the IB network is set up for dynamic routing,
which might change flows to avoid slow links (not sure how this works in IB, but maybe
it could be turned off.)

Getting back to the original question, I'm not aware of such an MPI test, but if one isn't
laying around in the Ohio State corpus or via Intel/Pathscale..., it shouldn't be hard to write one.

I wasn't able to find a good Internet accessible reference of the Parking lot problem, but
it is mentioned in First Experiences with Congestion Control in InfiniBand Hardware (Gran
et all, 2010)  The citation here is to Dally.

-L