[Beowulf] Lifespan of a cluster

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 02:28:00 PDT 2014

Hi Jörg,

Typically we need to be looking at the amount of performance per unit
of power that computers give us in order to get an objective analysis.

Lets assume that all computer cores consume 20W of power and cost
£200. Models from 10 years ago give us 20GFLOP. Lets assume that this
performance doubles every two years.

We can then start to make the analysis: http://imgur.com/a/ESHHK

Disclaimer: Techniques and analysis shown here are probably wildly
inaccurate and stupid. Use at your own risk :)

Thanks,

Andrew