[Beowulf] installint MPI 1.x on RHEL 5.4

Chris Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Sat Apr 26 22:08:19 PDT 2014

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:45:05 AM Bhabani Samantray wrote:

>        I want to install MPI 1.x on RHEL 5.4.

One thing to add to Andy's excellent answer, you need to understand that
"install MPI 1.x" doesn't really make any sense.

MPI itself is just a standard, it's currently up to version 3 and there are
many implementations of various versions available.

I would recommend you follow Andy's suggestion and install Open-MPI 1.8.1,
though whether you do so by building RPMs or instead install to a central
location that all nodes mount via NFS or similar is a choice that is up to
you.

You may also want to take a look at EasyBuild too:

http://hpcugent.github.io/easybuild/

There is no one way to correctly build a Beowulf cluster, it's really down to
what your needs are.

Good luck!
Chris