[Beowulf] IBM LCM16 capacity

John McCulloch johnm at pcpcdirect.com
Sat Sep 7 10:55:15 PDT 2013

Can anyone relate experience with implementing the IBM LCM16 KVM switch in a tiered configuration?  We are spec'ing approximately 500 node x86 cluster.

Since you can daisy chain up to 16 servers per port, I would expect the supported maximum servers to be greater than 256 with two or three tiered LCM16 units.  Or does each port connect only one target system in a tiered configuration.

The specs state only up to 256 target systems are supported in a tiered configuration.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0788.html

Regards,
John McCulloch
PCPC Direct, Ltd. | Desk (713) 344-0923  |  Mobile (936) 641-0637

"...we do not understand a thing until
we see it growing from its beginning."
--Aristotle