[Beowulf] Docker in HPC

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 27 03:45:41 PST 2013

Here is a Register article, which covers the same ground as Joe's post:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/26/docker_spreads_to_more_linux_distros/

" For instance, Docker could be used to run a database in one container and
an app server in another, and the configurable isolation properties"
So can we think of batch schedulers which woudl reserve parts of big NUMA
machines, and run docker containers on them?

Also fromthe blog, Offline Transfer:
"The exported bundles are regular directories, and can be transported by
any file transfer mechanism, included ftp, physical media, proprietary
installers, etc
. This feature is particulary interesting for software vendors who need to
ship their software as sealed appliances to their “enterprise” customers.
Using offline transfer, they can use docker containers as the delivery
mechanism for software updates"
That is really interesting.
Can we forsee users running on in-house clusters with Docker containers,
which may be commercial applications delivered pre-packaged by an ISV,
or locally developed?
Then when they need more capacity in short timescales just exporting those
containers to run on a cloud (let's say AWS ) and be confident they will
run in the same way?