[Beowulf] Admin action request

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Nov 23 03:15:16 PST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 03:42:35PM -0500, Joe Landman wrote:
> Folks:
>
>    We are seeing a return to the posting of multiple full articles

Failure to address the culprit (me, presumably) by name.
Use of majestatis pluralis. Why so pissy?

> again.  We've asked several times that this not occur.  It appears to be
> a strong consensus from many I spoke with at SC13 this year, that there
> is little (actually no) support for the full article postings.  As we

I've received two off-list replies that I continue posting.

> had noted in the case of HPCwire, InsideHPC, etc. posting the full
> article deprives the authors and publishers of clicks, which deprives
> them of potential revenue.

We've been through this before.

>    Since our requests have again been ignored, we are generally faced
> with a few options on what to do if anything.
>
>    Option 1: Do nothing.  Nothing will change, and we will have someone
> continue to abuse the resources, the authors and the publications.
>
>    Option 2: Personal filtering.  This particular individual actually
> threatened me in another group, and I generally simply ignore anything

Bullshit. Joe Landman, who thinks that his personal views should be
normative, attempted to quash a discussion (not initiated by me) on
the pfSense mailing list. I told him that if he continues to accuse
others of tinfoilhattery in regards to a germane discussion in a
security product in order to censor I will call such wrongful attempts
a Landman's Law, in analogy with Godwin's Law.

He took the hint, and stopped doing that.

Now he insinuates here on the Beowulf mailing I threatened Joe Landman
personally, without even calling me by name. This is incorrect
and libelous. I did no such thing. Joe Landman, please retract your
libelous statement about me you made in public.

> he posts.  I haven't gone as far as active filters for him, but have for
> some of the more egregious tin foil hat wearers of that other group.
>
>    Option 3: Enforce some of our basic etiquette.  If you aren't willing
> to abide by the house rules, you won't be allowed into the house to
> violate the rules.  In this case, I see more than two strikes, so I am
> not all that inclined to be terribly forgiving of these breaches.

I've lost the last shred of personal and professional respect for you,
Joe Landman. You might be a scholar, but you're certainly no gentleman.

>    It is obvious option 1 will do nothing.  Option 2 is unsatisfactory,
> as the behavior will continue, and be in the permanent list archive.
> Option 3 seems to be the right approach.
>
>    I am not a lawyer, though its not hard to note that reproduction of
> work without permission could wind someone up in court ... this has been
> the basis for the file sharing lawsuits when content owners get pissed
> off enough.  It doesn't matter if the owner of the list or the hardware
> the list is on didn't put it there.  What matters is that they didn't
> remove it.
>
>    Rather than have to deal with the battle above, I'd ask the powers
> that be to decide whether or not they wish to continue to tolerate the
> astounding breach of etiquette, and the risks that it opens up
> (copyright and redistribution of copyrighted work).
>
>    Note that we've had this conversation before, and been assured by the
> poster that it wouldn't happen again.  As I see it, I've got a number of

I assume you mean me. I do not recall saying that.

> his longer posts going into my SPAM filter, which means I have to
> actively clean it lest google start categorizing all mail from Beowulf
> as spam.
>
>    I am just not seeing an upside to option 1 or option 2, though option
> 2 provides local filtration.
>
>    Anyone else have an opinion?

Yes. I don't give a shit about Joseph Landman, Ph.D. I'm willing to
abide by house rules, these explicitly not involving one Joseph Landman,
Ph.D.

I'm willing to start listening to his opinion when Joseph Landman, Ph.D.,
retracts his libel against me, in public. Your call.