[Beowulf] 10GbE Adapter Market

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 11:52:57 PST 2013

Well that's amusing. The link has a clever animation of someone googling on
my behalf, and comes up with what I assume is the correct definition:
(from https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=define%3A+soho )
"relating to a market for relatively inexpensive consumer electronics used
by individuals and small companies."

That's great, but there are two funny things about the page. It follows the
definition with the actual google results for "soho", none of which mention
anything even related to the given definition. The other funny thing is
that the definition does not mention the acronym, or strictly speaking, the
etymology of the "word".
So I'm still mystified, and I don't know how an automatic dictionary system
using google got that definition when none of it's search results get that
definition. Any "pick best answer from the results" AI that I might write
would retrieve "South of Houston" &c.
So this is a put-on, right?

So my actual bandwagon is that people should take the time to say what they
mean; I don't mind looking up unfamiliar words, and I had (otherwise I
wouldn't have known about the holotronic architecture idea). And if SOHO
means COTS but nobody remembers the acronym, then I suggest sticking with
COTS.
Peter