[Beowulf] More BeoBash SC13 Info

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Tue Nov 12 11:49:36 PST 2013

Greetings

As Joe Landman mentioned, SC13 and the Beobash are
upon us. I just wanted to mention Jeff Layton and I
will be running the pool tournament, so there
will be no funny business(1), and there are real prizes!

   http://xandmarketing.com/beobash13/

Also, I'll have a Limulus cluster workstation
in the Scalable Informatics booth (#1919) this year.
It will be running Hadoop YARN, to which most of
you should be saying "what is YARN and why should I care?"
In short, YARN is a fundamental change in how Hadoop
clusters operate, MapReduce is now just another application
that can run on the cluster, e.g. you can run
MPI codes on a Hadoop cluster and if you are clever take
advantage of data locality. (And, to be clear Hadoop YARN
is not a threat to existing HPC systems)

If you want to learn more, I'll be talking about Hadoop YARN
in the Scalable booth on Tuesday: 5pm, Wednesday: 11am,
Thursday: 1pm,

If you are heading to Denver, safe travels and hope to see you next week

--
Doug

(1) unless we get something out it.

--