[Beowulf] why we need cheap, open learning clusters

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon May 13 12:52:30 PDT 2013

> On 5/12/13 11:52 AM, "Joe Landman" <landman at scalableinformatics.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I had forgotten to plug this, but have a gander here:
>>http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/
>>
>>Cluster in a box, by one of our (Beowulf's) own.
>>

> Yes.. I had mentioned that some emails ago..
>
> BUT.. I wonder whether it being "in a box" would discourage tinkering? My
> gut feel is that when things start to look like a computer (e.g. In a box,
> with connectors, and screws holding the case on) that institutional forces
> (and of bigger concern, user psychology) start to consider it a "box that
> shall remain closed for the following reasons:<list of reasons here>"...

Well it depends how much support you want to provide for users
with screw drivers. I like Little Fe et al for that reason,
kind of cluster lego. Limulus is designed to pull the most
performance from a personal power/noise/size envelope, which
drives the design in a slightly different direction.

--
Doug

--
Mailscanner: Clean