[Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 7 12:19:52 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Joe Landman
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:56 AM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Innovative liquid cooling

On 03/06/2013 11:48 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
>> Cool-Whip is sold in a tub and is a foamed hydrogenated coconut and palm oil with corn syrup and some foam stabilizers like casein, xanthan gum and guar gum.
>> It can be frozen and thawed (unlike real cream).  Apparently, they
>> started adding a small amount of skim milk to it in 2010.  (From a
>> Kosher standpoint, CoolWhip was always >considered dairy because of
>> the sodium caseinate, which is made from milk)
> The equivalent in the UK is Angel Delight. I was brought up on it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Delight
>
> The Wikipedia page has no figure for its thermal conductivity.
> However it is available in several rather nice flavours, each appropriate for different sizes of cluster.

Why not beer as a coolant?  I can see it now

"My cluster is cooled by Guinness"

"Oh yeah?  Mine is cooled by London Pride!"

---
Considering the stories about "Lucas Refrigeration" and "cellar temperature" beer, I'm thinking you might want a frosty cold light pilsener.    Or perhaps Bass could seek another royal warrant.. "by appointment to her/his majesty provider of supercomputer coolant"  (see, I actually *read* my beer bottles, although I'm not sure Bass still has a warrant in these InBev days)