[Beowulf] Bolts of Thunder and Upgraded desktop interconnect silicon....

James Cuff james_cuff at harvard.edu
Mon Jun 10 16:40:46 PDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Jeff Johnson
<jeff.johnson at aeoncomputing.com> wrote:
> Thunderbolt is packetized PCI-Express. It also interleaves encapsulated
> DisplayPort packets on the same chain. If there are no DisplayPort devices
> on the chain then the entire bandwidth is available for data.
>
> All of the Thunderbolt data devices on the market have an internal board
> that contains a Thuunderbolt chip that converts the packetized PCI-Express
> to standard format and that is fed into a PCI-Express/Whatever chip (SATA,
> SAS, USB3, etc).
>
> My guess is that Thunderbolt's progress will follow Intel's PCI-Express
> roadmap. When PCI-Express gets faster, Intel will roll a faster TB chip.
> Again, I am guessing. I am not reading off of any NDA material.
>
> I don't know what the interface latencies are. For interconnect use, I am
> guessing, you would start with the same construct used with PCI-Express host
> connections. I don't know if TB will recongize another host on a device
> chain or if it is single host/multi slave.
>
> --Jeff
>
> /* disclaimer: the above was written under the influence of severe jet lag.
> */

Thanks Jeff - really appreciate this.

I'm no interconnect engineer, but I see commoditization of small
component parts, packet based PCI-e and being a child of simple
upbringing I always attempt to put two and two together to come up
with moderate values of four.

Poking at http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-technology-developer.html

and the silicon/spec clearly looks like it could do the job.

It also looks like simple silicon (in comparison to many others) which
could drive stunning yield from a manufacturing perspective.  This
then drives the one thing we folks in Beowulf HPC love - volume!

There has to be something here...  I'm guessing some of our friends at
Intel may need to help us get to point B.  "Volume driven
opportunities" are mentioned on the developers area of:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products

so...  I dunno. maybe we just watch this space or it is just too hard
to talk about in a public forum right now, which I'm also cool with.

Thanks again - love to see other folks insight.

j.