[Beowulf] Bolts of Thunder and Upgraded desktop interconnect silicon....

James Cuff james_cuff at harvard.edu
Mon Jun 10 15:57:29 PDT 2013

Hi all!

So a company based out of Cupertino mentioned using this silicon in a
revamp of their MacPro line today...

http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2013/06/video-creation-bolts-ahead-%E2%80%93-intel%E2%80%99s-thunderbolt%E2%84%A2-2-doubles-bandwidth-enabling-4k-video-transfer-display-2/

we appear to have a second version of a 20GB/s consumer connection
(latency unknown), and yet this search:

https://www.google.com/search?q=linux+thunderbolt+interconnect

does not really go anywhere cool like a github or kernel.org repo....

Any qualified folks know where this thunderbolt stuff is all heading
and are able to talk in public?

Best,

j.

p.s.

yes I did move back to .edu just in case folks were doing a double
take. And yes, (like Dr. Layton) I do still think that cloud infrastructure
as a service and HPC/HTC are still a really good idea for the right
algorithms and workloads! :-)

--
dr. james cuff, director of research computing & chief technology architect
harvard university | faculty of arts and sciences | division of science rm