[Beowulf] Problems with Dell M620 and CPU power throttling

Bill Wichser bill at princeton.edu
Fri Aug 30 08:10:07 PDT 2013

Of course we have done system tuning.  Limits, arp table entries, block
size changes.  tuned actually helped by setting a number of parameters
in sysctl among other sys parameters.  Performance has increased due to
the changes made here.  Prior to making these changes, when the system
was installed with a vanilla RH 6.1, we saw these problems.  Incremental
changes helped performance but never resolved this power capping issue.

Instrumenting temperature probes on individual CPUs has not been
performed.  When we look at temperatures from both the chassis and
ipmitool, we see no drastic peaks.  Maybe we are getting a 60C peak that
we don't detect and that is the cause.  But I doubt it.

Yes, a power cycle cools down the cores.  Maybe that is the reset we
see.  Prior to a power cycle we can look at the BMC temps, again using
ipmitool or the chassis GUI and wee that temps are well below 30C.  We
also see that power consumption is around 80W.  That tells me that the
system is cool enough.  Should I not believe those values?  i have no
reason to from past experience.

Input air is about 22C.  For our data center, you'd have a better chance
of getting this adjusted to 15C than I would!  As for fans, these don't
have any and are controlled at the chassis level.

For heat sink thermal grease problems, I'd expect this to be visible
using the ipmitools but maybe that is not where the temperatures are
being measured.  I don't know about that issue.  I'd expect that a bad
thermal grease issue would manifest itself by showing up on a per socket
level and not on both sockets.  It seems odd that every node exhibiting
this problem would have both sockets having the same issue.

Again, the magnitude of the problem is about 5-10% at any time.  Given
600 compute nodes, this is a lot of nodes showing similar problems.  And
in most cases, a power cycle cures this issue.

Since we have not seen a node go "bad" while idle, this does point to
something overheating perhaps.  The tools i know about to watch this
temperature are not sufficient in showing me this though.

Thanks,
Bill