[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Wed Apr 24 08:42:14 PDT 2013

> nodes.

> Do you run a scheduler?  Any user ought to be able to specify exclusivity.

Chaps, play nice please.
I am sure Mark Hahn is well aware of what batch schedulers can do.

Me, I come place myself in the camp of one job / one node (or one job / lots of nodes)
Jobs may run wild and trigger the OOM killer (say) (and YES I KNOW that you can put limits on memory usage in the batch scheduler).

I will also say that workloads vary - you may have long running jobs which do not require a lot of memory, and which could exist happily
with other jobs. YMMV. But in my experience dedicated nodes per job is preferable.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.