[Beowulf] Definition of HPC

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 15 13:17:38 PDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 03:17 PM, Max R. Dechantsreiter wrote:
> "High performance computing (HPC) is a form of computer usage where
> utlilization one of the computer subsystems (processor, ram, disk,
> network, etc), is at or near 100% capacity for extended periods of time."
>
> Could my laptop exhibit symptoms of HPC, as you defined them?

Yes. While not as sexy as 1000 computers having all their cores pinned
at 100% for days at a time, I think a single computer with it's CPU ( or
any other subsystem) pinned at 100% for a few minutes or so still counts
as HPC. Not very good HPC, but HPC nonetheless. Think of the word
'house'. Whether you live in a small house (your laptop) or a big,
luxurious mansion (a cluster), I think we can all agree both are still
houses.

Prentice