[Beowulf] Electricity cost: a critical survival issue of our ICT infrastructures.

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 10 14:40:38 PDT 2013

In the US, electricity comes mostly from coal and natural gas, with the latter rapidly replacing the former.  France is somewhat unusual in having significant nuclear generation, but in the US, nuclear has been roughly constant at about 20%.

In PetaWattHr
Coal	1.517
Gas	1.231	 (natural)
Nuc	0.769
Hydro	0.277
Renew	0.219	(wind, tidal, solar)
Oil	0.013
Other	0.012	(no idea what this is, biomass?)
Gas	0.011	(other, blast furnace gas, e.g.)
Coke	0.010 	 (from oil)

Over the last few years, Coal is decreasing by about 200 TeraWh/yr, Nat gas increasing by about the same. Oil is decreasing by about 3-4 TWh/yr, renewable is increasing about 20-25 TWh/yr.

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_1_1

Jim Lux