[Beowulf] Roadrunner shutdown

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Thu Apr 4 11:04:23 PDT 2013

Bret,

IBM pulled out of the proposal, not NCSA, and it was because it wasn't
profitable enough for IBM to continue, not because IBM's solution was
too expensive, or wasn't working. I wouldn't call the Cray solution
commodity, either. It uses a proprietary network, and Keplers used it in
don't look like normal, off-the-shelf PCIE packaging in the videos I've
seen. I could wrong about that last part, though. I'm sure the
processors themselves are the same - I'm just talking about the
packaging of the PCB.

I'm CC'ing this reply back to the list because I think this is a good
discussion for the whole list, and I don't see any reason for you to
reply to me off-list on this topic. Our conversation has been
professional, more or less, so far. Sorry if you disagree.

Prentice