[Beowulf] Roadrunner shutdown

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 1 17:20:47 PDT 2013

A commenter on Slashdot (I know, not always the most accurate of sources..) gives
444 Mflop/W for RR and 2143 MFLOP/W for Titan.  Sequoia comes in at just over 2000. K is 830.
That's a pretty big difference.

I get 280 for Cielo (1100TF/3980kW) which is worse than Roadrunner.

I suspect it's a combination of factors..  power consumption is one, age is another.  At a certain point, you start having maintenance issues (Prentice's  #5 (and maybe the half dozen people who really understand how box A works are now working on box B, Prentice's #3, below), and it's time to start over.

It might also be an issue of problem size that you can grind on.  The top500 is about a particular metric.  Processor speeds, per se, haven't been going up as fast as say disk drive size/speed, or solid state drives, or interconnects, which have gotten more sophisticated.

And, no, it's being sent to *north* Korea, where  it will bring the primitive electrical grid to its knees.<grin>

Jim Lux