[Beowulf] let's standardize liquid cooling

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 28 14:25:57 PDT 2012

An interesting idea..
BUT.. you might need some sort of "bench test" fixture.. thermally driven convection might work.

And I think you'd have mfrs worried about people filling a rack full of fanless nodes and then not turning on the fans.  Or the power failing to the fans, or, opening both doors.

I suppose some sort of overtemperature cutout would solve this: the mobo would just shut down if it got too hot.

Whatever happened to a Beowulf made of tower cases piled on brick and board book cases?

Or this incredibly adaptable scheme: http://climate.ornl.gov/~forrest/linux-magazine-1999/  note the easy reference information inscribed on each node in this novel heterogenous cluster.  It's all part of addressing: "Management of such a large, heterogeneous cluster poses many challenges."

Jim Lux