[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 17:24:45 PDT 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:54:01 +0200, you wrote:

>There's nearly nothing there at that link.
>
>Just a handful of SRPMS.

All of the SRPMS for SL are there.

>My point of openfabrics is: most people build a cluster in order to
>be have more performance
>than a single machine can give. Not seldom that's also with latest
>hardware (not in my case
>but i expect most beowulf aren't using old hardware).
>
>To get performance you want latest compilers and pretty much latest
>stable kernel therefore
>as a minimum requirement.

Not necessarily.  You want something that is stable and well tested,
which will complete the work you give it.  This is not necessarily the
latest and greatest.

>But let's start with the performance issue.
>
>Even trying to compile GCC 4.7.0 both 32 and 64 bits in SL was a
>problem though it had been
>released for months.

Not difficult.

Googled RHEL gcc 4.7 and discovered that Red Hat has something called
Red Hat Developer Toolset which is gcc 4.7 for RHEL 5 and 6.

Went to ftp.redhat.com and found:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Workstation/en/RHDevToolset/SRPMS/

Downloaded and installed the SRPMS, installed the dependencies via
yum, and built the RPMS.