[Beowulf] electricity prices

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Wed Sep 26 20:24:54 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 04:44:29PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> To be honest, given the high costs of nearly everything in CA I'm amazed
> that anyone ever locates anything there.  Land prices are high.  Housing
> costs are astronomical.  Electricity is 2-3 times more expensive than it
> is in most of the US.

People locate things here because of the people.

I'll also repeat: last time I priced it (1 year ago), colo space in
the middle of Santa Clara county, including power, was 25% cheaper
than the equivalent in Vegas, where land and power are cheap. There's
economy of scale at work.

Now, mind you, of course that's a Santa Clara colo located where the
cheap power company is, which isn't the one that's 2-3x more expensive
than most places.

-- greg