[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 26 01:54:01 PDT 2012

There's nearly nothing there at that link.

Just a handful of SRPMS.

My point of openfabrics is: most people build a cluster in order to
be have more performance
than a single machine can give. Not seldom that's also with latest
hardware (not in my case
but i expect most beowulf aren't using old hardware).

To get performance you want latest compilers and pretty much latest
stable kernel therefore
as a minimum requirement.

Another issue with clusters is SAFETY.

Now by paying big cash to SLES or RHEL maybe you can buy safety -
maybe someone wants
to comment on that and prove to me on paper the safety of it. Yet
where safety is the most important
concern for most organisations with respect to HPC, i never see
anyone comment on it.

But let's start with the performance issue.

Even trying to compile GCC 4.7.0 both 32 and 64 bits in SL was a
problem though it had been
released for months.

There is also clang now to mention.

Now if commercial companies like SLES and RHEL choose to use that,
that's none of my business.

It's sad that OpenFabrics isn't there optimizing performance though
and by default still uses some GCC version
from nearly a decade ago which wasn't as improved for 64 bits as much
as latest versions are, to say very polite.

If i want to slowdown factor 2 with some software i don't need to
build a cluster you know.

I can use my laptop if performance is not an issue.