[Beowulf] Southampton's RPi cluster is cool but too many cables?

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Tue Sep 25 19:12:37 PDT 2012

On 09/25/2012 10:01 PM, Mark Hahn wrote:
>> you're talking about around 90MB/s to process, and at 30TB now we're
>> talking about near to 1.4GB/s to process.
>
> I think you're mixing up the two (radically different) approaches.
> the old short-read systems are definitely more data (and reassembly)
> intensive.

I wasn't mixing them up, I didn't know both existed is all, :D.  But in
all seriousness, I was simply reacting to the 2TB to 30TB numbers,
without assuming or projecting any background in bio.  I stand by my
claim that even 2TB is absurd to expect a tiny, 6 hour long-living
device to push via USB, but based on your response and others this isn't
what it is doing anyhow.  Very interesting stuff nevertheless.

Thanks for the note!

ellis