[Beowulf] value of parallel programming experience (was: Checkpointing using flash)

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Tue Sep 25 08:44:03 PDT 2012

It is not so much about parallel programming experience but about
scientific software development career path. Quite often parallel
skills are needed anyway. A former colleague and a good friend of mine
explains it quite nicely here:

http://software.ac.uk/blog/2012-04-23-work-scientific-software-engineers-recognised-academia

Igor, that's a very good article.

I must say though that in particle physics there is a job title of Physicist Programmer.

"The lack of career security often makes talented software developers move to industry"

$ME looks up over the cubicle divider at a large expanse of industrial grey desks...
(not that I'm talented, I hasten to add)

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.