[Beowulf] General cluster management tools - Re: Southampton engineers a Raspberry Pi Supercomputer

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 10:46:06 PDT 2012

> Basically the transition nearly killed the project/community.  Lots of
> folks grew tired of this and moved on.  We are one such ... I don't have
> time for political battles between two nearly identical projects that
> should merge.  This "sectarianism" is deadly to open source projects ...
> forks pull communities apart.  And the GE community is pretty small to
> begin with.

> That said, I stand by my thesis that open source is lower risk.

hmm.

I think any project, software or otherwise, open or closed source is
at the almost complete mercy of the unknown boogie man. Oracle,
Software Patents, Chapter 5 and International Terrorism can all derail
things when we least expect it. As such, any risk real or perceived is
utterly unquantifiable.

Can you state a thesis, usually supported by either qualitative of
quantitate data, on the unquantifiable?

Germans say to me sometimes: "Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben"
rough translation: "who knows nothing must believe everything"
- Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach