[Beowulf] Southampton's RPi cluster is cool but too many cables?

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at cse.psu.edu
Wed Sep 19 08:15:35 PDT 2012

On 09/19/2012 11:02 AM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 10:46 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:
>>
>> On 19/09/12 12:04, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe do it wireless at around a 2800Mhz frequency instead of using
>>>    cables. Then stack them all up in a 2nd hand microwave and invent
>>> the new buzzword microwave supercomputing.
>> "It slices! It dices! It supercomputes and cooks your dinner!". :-)
>
> And we could call it 'the funcooker'!
>
> http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/03/the-fun-cooker-on-30-rock-video/

<sarcasm>
Gents, this list is solely for serious supercomputing discussions, not
speculations about the potential for a cluster to be used for heating up
meals.

I mean, if we're willing to do something so trivial with such beautiful
complexity, what's next?  What's even less useful than cooking meals?
Washing dishes?  Folding laundry?  Oh, wait, I've got it!  The very
pinnacle of pointlessness, the epitome of entertainment, the tiptop of
triviality:  Let's teach the dang thing to play board games!  Now
there's a serious waste of time and money!
</sarcasm>

Best,

ellis