[Beowulf] General thoughts on Xeon 56xx versus E5 series?

Igor Kozin i.n.kozin at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 14 04:00:06 PDT 2012

if memory bandwidth is your concern then there are models which boost
it quite significantly. e.g.
http://ark.intel.com/products/64584/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2660-20M-Cache-2_20-GHz-8_00-GTs-Intel-QPI
probably very few codes are going to benefit from AVX without extra
efforts but BW is a clear win.
i'm seeing a good speed up on some applications which can be
attributed to higher BW.