[Beowulf] Servers Too Hot? Intel Recommends a Luxurious Oil Bath

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Sep 10 05:18:33 PDT 2012

> I live next to Canary Wharf. There are some pretty tasty air conditioning setups there,
> if you look up on the roofs, and I should imagine some pretty big server rooms.

Who knows what they are cooling under there.

It is quite nice to see the plumes of condensation on a cold morning above the buildings there.

In light of our recent discussions on oil and water based cooling, it strikes me that the air con setups I see there
Are quite conventional - chiller farms on the roofs (as far as I know the 'pointy hat' at the top of Canary Wharf is
full of air con gear).
No buisneses there are using the Thames nearby for cooling - I suppose thats understandable as it is tidal,
And there will be environmental consequences in heating up the Thames.
But the area also has expanses of old docks which still have water in - could be used as heat exchangers.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.