[Beowulf] Degree

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Oct 24 17:22:21 PDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 03:00 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>> But, in any case, I think "Doktor" in Germany (essentially a professional
>> qualification) is quite different from "PhD" in the US (an academic
>> qualification)
>
> Not at all, in hard sciences the Ph.D's are all the same.

The next phase, the habilitation would be different than in the US if it
is still in use in Germany.

Some acquaintances of ours discussed differences between MD programs
between the US and UK and Ireland.  Not that the final degree/skills or
capabilities are any different, though the pathways sound rather
different (more hurdles in the US from what they told me, now as med
school profs in Ann Arbor).

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO