[Beowulf] Degree

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 24 10:37:28 PDT 2012

On 10/24/2012 09:19 AM, Hearns, John wrote:
> .
>
> Thing is, I need some kind of degree in this stuff to do the kind of
> work I really want to do. Especially in Germany, organisations
> involved in HPC usually strictly require an advanced degree if you
> want to be paid.
>

> In the UK it is quite normal for people who want to gain qualifications
> whilst working to go through the Open University   http://www.open.ac.uk/
>
> http://www8.open.ac.uk/europe/in-your-country/germany

MIT is working on something similar. For years now, they've had their
OpenCourseWare system (http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm) where they were
attempting to put ALL their classes online and freely available to
anyone in the world. This was revolutionary when it started (sometime
around 1999/2000, I think). The one problem is that you can't get a
degree this way. Well, MIT is working on a way to fix that. I read
somewhere they are working out a system where you can complete classes
and get a degree or certificate from MIT for a nominal fee. You would
have to complete all the requirements of an MIT grad, and still pay
something to MIT, but it would be much less than full tuition to attend
in person. I think the degree would be slightly different, but still
indicate you met all of MIT's requirements, or something like that. Wish
I remembered where I read this so I could provide more information. Wired?

Quick google search found this:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2011/12/21/online_degrees_from_mit.html

--
Prentice