[Beowulf] Degree

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 05:58:04 PDT 2012

Hello,

I have no education. I left school at 16 and, in my mid 20's, somehow
got into supercomputing and now am doing all kinds of silly stuff.

Thing is, I need some kind of degree in this stuff to do the kind of
work I really want to do. Especially in Germany, organisations
involved in HPC usually strictly require an advanced degree if you
want to be paid. They can hire you but can't pay you due to union
restricted pay grades that are based on your level of education.

I've managed to do some interesting stuff freelance but it was a real PITA.

Im currently working as a system architect for a Berlin firm,
designing and testing a new large scale cloudy type infrastructure. I
am the project lead and am completing pretty much all the work myself.
Playing with technologies such as Infiniband, ZFS, iSCSI, Databases et
al. The problems are complex and require a very special understanding
of the whole stack.

Would it be possible to turn this kind of work into a masters degree
or perhaps even a PHD? Its been suggested that the scale of the
projects that I am working on now are equivalent to a PHD.......

I have the resources, time, intent and lots of complex problems to solve.

Would it be possible for a friendly professor to supervise me in this
kind of circumstance?

If this is possible, what kind of costs would I incur?

Thanks,

Andrew

Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/in/andrewholway
References - https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~holway/

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - I want to build a better telescope.