[Beowulf] K Computer built for speed, not use

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 10 17:35:27 PDT 2012

Actually, I think it's summed up here:
"Many, if not most, users are just happy to have a faster computer"
" Forming a consensus among the high-level users would have taken time, "leaving end users like me waiting for many years," he says"

Yep.. perfect is the enemy of done.

And I note that the potential griper Makino-san is still lining up to use it, non-optimum architecture and all.

Reading the slides.. while NWT and CP-PACs he rates as good or very good, they had a single science goal.. so yeah, of course it worked well for that one user: they could optimize.
Any general purpose system will inevitably underperform for some people, and many might argue that the art of managing such a project is making sure everyone squawks equally loud about how the stake is being driven into their heart.

One also wonders if Makino-san is angling to be named the "single person as leader" for exascale...

(I am also cautioned about the possibility of poor translation.  What might be an idiomatic phrase in Japanese might mean something different when translated into English.)

Jim Lux