[Beowulf] hadoop

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 27 06:40:29 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 03:01:57PM +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> One thing that really caught my eye was seamicros new storage servers up to
> 5 petabytes of storage

Please do not top-post and please trim your replies. Message
below unchanged for illustration.

The Seamicro is not the same thing, since I would be
looking at least for an Exynos 5 with 1-2 GByte
RAM and some GByte flash for each SATA spindle.
You would not just run a distributed filesystem
or even a database, but to process code locally
that uses 1-3 TByte worth of data on said spindle,
with some SSD/RAM caching. If you're moving a
sliding window across a 3d voxelset where you
do some processing, then you would likely to
be able to stream at 100-200 MByte/s, and
process your TByte/node data within nongeological
time spans. There would be very little traffic on
the GBit port, as you would only query adjacent
nodes when you need to get a slice at the surface
of the cube.

In principle this would map very well to a 3d torus,
but GBit Ethernet for many 10 k nodes is reasonably
cheap.