[Beowulf] Supercomputers face growing resilience problems

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 23 19:41:17 PST 2012

It's a "hard problem"… The natural tendency is to solve the easy problems first, and only when backed into the corner, do you take on the hard problems.  Or.. Someone comes out of the background with a really novel approach.  I'm sure folks thought about error correcting codes in an empirical way (e.g. Parity bits) but Hamming put it all together in a nice consistent theoretical framework.  Or Shannon, for that matter.