[Beowulf] Fwd: warewulf - cannot log into nodes

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 21 10:59:25 PST 2012

On 11/20/2012 11:33 PM, Duke Nguyen wrote:
> On 11/20/12 6:29 PM, John Hearns wrote:
>> It was a ssh-key problem. Everything fixed now. Now I have few nodes up
>> with SL6.3 and are able to log in with root. It's going to be fun now :)
>>

>> Arrggh! You beat me to it!
>> That's great - what applications do you want to run on the cluster?
>> Let us know please how it performs!
>
> Still too early for that :). Now my task is to create a cluster with IB
> connection. I heard about MPIPICH2 and OpenMPI also supported IB, but
> any other recommendation/experiences will be greatly appreciated.
>
> D.

Hi Duke

You probably mean MVAPICH2 (not MPIPICH2).
Both Open-MPI and MVAPICH2 (which is a port of MPICH2 to run
on IB), are easy to install (once you have OFED/OpenIB).
Open-MPI is a bit more flexible, as it supports TCP/IP, IB,
and other protocols, and has a number
of configurable features, several of them at runtime.
Both have mailing list support.
It really doesn't hurt to install and use both,
and they don't conflict.

http://www.open-mpi.org/
http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/overview/mvapich2/

MPICH2 doesn't support IB, but works over TCP/IP and other protocols.

http://www.mpich.org/
Also, if you decide to use a resource manager (which you probably
should in a cluster), such as Torque+Maui, or SGE/OGE, or Slurm,
install it first, and build Open-MPI with resource manager
support.
This makes parallel job launching and management much simpler.
(The three above have mailing lists also.)

http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/products/
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui-cluster-scheduler.php
https://computing.llnl.gov/linux/slurm/
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/tools/oracle-grid-engine-075549.html