[Beowulf] PXE boot with X7DWT-INF IB onboard card

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Nov 12 03:41:49 PST 2012

My questions are:

  * any body using the same (or similar main boards) and was able to
boot using PXE?
  * if PXE server with Infiniband is impossible, then it is OK with a
gigabyte connection? Or should we go for 16 disks for these 16 clients
and dont care much on boot over IB or IP? (more money, of course)

My advice - use the gigabit Ethernet connection for PXE booting the nodes,
and also configure an IP Address on the gigabit when the cluster is up.
Use that address for general administration of the nodes, and for the batch system.

Create a second network with the Infiniband interfaces, with a different IP Address range.
use that for storage traffic (ie your NFS mounts) and for MPI traffic.

Which cluster toolkit are you using to install the nodes?

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.