[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 6 07:16:35 PST 2012

On Nov 6, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Prentice Bisbal wrote:

> On 11/06/2012 06:00 AM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

>>> The budget for digital production on a movie is enormous compared
>>> to what
>>> we spend at NASA.
>>
>> That's the actor part - i am speaking about the computer generated
>> graphics part.
>>
>> You really overestimate this.
>
> No, Vincent, you really overestimate your knowledge. What first
> hand experience do you have as a producer in a Hollywood film?
>
> --
> Prentice

You were in the naive religion that all the graphics and sound of
movies and popsongs and games what hollywood produces
all got produced in Hollywood and that all the actors and actresses
and popstars all were born in USA?

This is a global business you know - and Netherlands is a big
producer there - though it's getting less now as some big initiators
retired and a number left the country and especially Asia takes over
USA.

The favourite thing to do for popstars and actresses is reinvent
themselves, get an artist identity as if they were born in or close
to USA
and do as if they're 10 years younger than they are :)

These people have cash you know. They can do what they want. That's
exactly what happens.
In reality they come from all over the world. Nowadays Asia is
becoming more popular there.

Netherlands is a popular destination though. No guns on the street of
gangs that want to shoot you.
Legal softdrugs to buy here (if you just buy a few grams) without
directly ending up in jail,
that in combination with a superior healthcare and the fact they can
go over street without getting recognized by too many people,
is very attractive. It's a safe nation to have kids and let them grow
up.

Note that Asia is moving up the ladder there. The amount of popstars
and singers that were born there keeps increasing - if i look
around about half of every succesful nerd has been married with a
girl born in Asia.

USA is changing there. From a predominantly white Europeans to Asian
and Latino's now.
I guess in 1 or 2 generations USA is total unrecognizable there. Note
you already see it in politics - rhetorics has become more important
than balancing budget - and i say this without any specific candidate
in mind. Balancing budgets is something typical European.

Such changes happen quicker in the celebrity world - as big money can
get made there. They just do not do it publicly too much -
they can sell more having an American identity and they have the cash
to pay for that. Especially for ex-photomodels this is easy to do.

The political reality that follows that you see always how long it
takes until people realize this.

But as for computation in this celebrity world - that's hardly
happening. No need for clusters there. What hollywood uses there only
exists
in their imagination in a marketing story.