[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Nov 5 08:45:13 PST 2012

I m a little late to these conversions, had some difficulty getting
electrons moving in the wires to and from my house last week -- a
hurricane thing.

In any case a few background items, some that may already been mentioned:

I was hired by AMD and Sun to write a short booklet
called "HPC for Dummies." I tried to give an overview
of the various methods, hardware, software etc. for
HPC (notably absent are GPU's) If you Google around
you can still find it, there is version on Google:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=1HiZqTMKZLHhQjdPniide1oaY84E_-yvmSFVbX4PMO382d2N3N-FfJJOcppf-

BTW, there is new effort to create a community based introduction book
for HPC. I'll have more information real soon, but you can check out

  http://cdp.clustermonkey.net/index.php/Main_Page

Cluster Monkey - tutorials, projects, opinion etc. from some of
the people who have been in this for while.

  http://clustermonkey.net

There are more links on the page, to other books and projects
(http://www.clustermonkey.net/Links.html)

--
Doug

> Hello, I hope that this is a suitable place to ask this, if not, I would
> equally appreciate some advice on where to look in lue of answers to my
> questions:
> You may guess that I'm very new to this subject.
>
> I am currently researching the feasibility and process of establishing a
> relatively small HPC cluster to speed up the processing of large amounts
> of
> digital images.
>
> After looking at a few HPC computing software solutions listed on the
> Wikipedia comparison of cluster software page (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_cluster_software ) I still have
> only a rough understanding of how the whole system works.
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1. Do programs you wish to use via HPC platforms need to be written to
> support HPC, and further, to support specific middleware using parallel
> programming or something like that?
> OR
> Can you run any program on top of the HPC cluster and have it's workload
> effectively distributed? --> How can this be done?
> 2. For something like digital image processing, where a huge amount of
> relatively large images (14MB each) are being processed, will network
> speed, or processing power be more of a limiting factor? Or would a
> gigabit
> network suffice?
> 3. For a relatively easy HPC platform what would you recommend?
>
> Again, I hope this is an ok place to ask such a question, if not please
> help refer me to a more suitable source.
>
> --
> Mailscanner: Clean

Doug

--