[Beowulf] Desktop fan reccommendation

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 6 06:36:08 PDT 2012

How much airflow per square centimeter do they generate?

As for the cluster here plenty of space available. To rent office
space is around a 50 euro a square meter a year over here,
not sure about there. So the cluster, some cardboard and huge fans of
14 and 18 CM are diong the job to cool the nodes
and switch, mellanox of course. now as i understand the square meters
they reserve for datacenters is always far too limited,
causing space each node eats as important as well, yet that's not the
problem here in my office.

The thing that worries me more is the airflow to outside (and
inside). Usually only have limited amount of square centimeters of
tube there. The 'industrial' fans that have massive airflow, they're
very very noisy.

I'm already wondering about using some massive cardboard box and blow
in air there using 8 fans (@ 100CFM each) or so
and then behind them a second layer of fans, around 6 @ 100CFM,
creating a massive overpressure, hoping that this will
generate more airpressure, enough to blow in and blow out through
some meters of tubing, but seems not like a perfect solution to me.