[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jan 27 13:47:21 PST 2012

On 01/27/2012 04:42 PM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2012, at 9:19 PM, Joe Landman wrote:
>
>> On 01/27/2012 03:06 PM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

[... merciful trimming ...]

>> Intel buying makes quite a bit of sense IMO.  They are in 10GbE
>> silicon
>> and NICs, and being in IB silicon and HCAs gives them not only a hedge
>> (10GbE while growing rapidly, is not the only high performance network
>> market, and Intel is very good at getting economies of scale going
>> with
>> its silicon ... well ... most of its silicon ... ignoring Itanium here
>> ...).  Its quite likely that Intel would need IB for its PetaScale
>
> Why buy previous generation IB in such case?

IP.  Its all about IP.  Its always about IP.  If ever you think its not
about IP, you should remember "Landman's N+1<sup>th</sup> rule of M&A:
It's the IP man ... just da IP!"

> It's about the ethernet of course...

... no its not.  Intel has its own ethernet.  Its had it for a LONG
time, and it did not buy Qlogic ethernet ... Its not about the ethernet.
  Say it with me ... ITS NOT ABOUT THE ETHERNET ... There, don't you
feel better now?  I do ...

> They produce tens of millions of cpu's each quarter and also
> announced a SoC (socket on chip)

SoC is "System On a Chip".  Socket on a chip is ... er ... cart before
the horse?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO