[Beowulf] FAWN

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 12 10:22:26 PST 2012

Fast Array of Wimpy Nodes..
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fawnproj/

Very cool stuff...

Their original motivation (reduction of power) is at a much larger scale than my work usually works at (they're talking megawatts in googleish clusters.. I worry about watts derived from solar panels and such)

But it's a whole 'nother twist on the idea of clustering of low performance nodes (by some metric.. they've got good nanojoule/operation metrics) .

And they're doing a very clever thing where they work with the very asymmetric read/write speeds on flash memory.  (And FLASH memory is something I spend a lot of time thinking about these days.. It's what we use in space for NVRAM these days)

Looks like I've got some reading for the holiday weekend.