[Beowulf] Pricing and Trading Networks: Down is Up, Left is Right

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 18 09:30:49 PST 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Joe Landman wrote:

> On 02/18/2012 11:12 AM, Andrew Piskorski wrote:
>
>> You've worked in the financial trading world so long and have talked
>> with so many different (successful) traders, that a guess based on
>> your own experience might well be reasonable?  Oh wait, you've never
>> done anything remotely like that.
>
> FWIW: our customers in this market all say the same thing in terms of
> "Time To Market" and correctness/maintainability.  It sucks if your
> code
> is write once.  Its bad if it takes you N months to deploy something
> that a competitor can deploy in N weeks (or N days).

Say you produce a cpu now within 2 weeks. it's 200 watt. it's 1 gflop
and it's $100 production price
including R&D overhead, including everything except shipping to
customers.

Good idea to sell?

time to market matters for simple software engineering - not for
stuff that has to perform ok?

> What we are seeing (from customers) are mixes of C/C++ and a number of
> domain specific languages (DSL), as well as "scripting" languages
> which
> have JIT compilers or JIT->VM execution paths.  Java is one of
> these, as
> well as a few others.
>
> Oddly, I haven't seen so much Python in this, a little Perl, and zero
> Ruby.  The languages that are in use are very interesting (the well
> known ones), and the ones that aren't as well known or are private
> DSLs
> are pretty darn cool.  There is much to be said for a language that
> enables an ease of expression of an algorithm, and doesn't get in your
> way with housekeeping and language bureaucracy crap.
>
> Understand that I am a fan of more terse languages, and the ones that
> force you into massive over-keyboarding (cough cough ... where's my
> coffee) should just have a nice '#include "boring_stuff.inc"' to
> simplify them.
>
>> The only plausible way you could know that is if you've been reading
>> lots of comprehensive academic and/or industry surveys (if they
>> exist)
>> of traders.  Sounds interesting.  So how about you point us to the
>> best summary of all that data on what sort of strategies traders say
>> they use?  I'm sure there must be one, because you wouldn't just be
>> making wild assertions unsupported by any evidence whatsoever, right?
>
> Heh ...
>
> /stands up to give a good takedown ovation ...

Yeah i bet some dudes want to know at which age i wrote my first
mortgage calculator
and and at which age i wrote my first trading application - but i won't.

Had you read what i posted - which you obviously never do - it would
be pretty obvious to you i had.

Also shows how total ignorant you are about performance. but let me
ask you next 3 questions:

a) when are you gonna buy a bulldozer cpu from your own cash? If so
why? And if not why not?
b) you drink of course a cola from a local supermarket isn't it, so
no pepsi nor coca cola - price matters most isn't it?
     expensive wines? Time to market huh?
c) in 2003 AMD was first to market a x64 cpu, intel following with
core2 some years later. Did you buy this yourself or advice others to
buy it?
- i bet like everyone on this list you get daily requests on what to
buy isn't it, so be honest
- what did you advice in 2003 and 2004 to those surrounding you?