[Beowulf] Pricing and Trading Networks: Down is Up, Left is Right

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 18 01:31:26 PST 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 10:13 AM, Joachim Worringen wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Vincent Diepeveen <diep at xs4all.nl>
> wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 2012, at 12:39 AM, Joachim Worringen wrote:
>>> - Execution speed is important, but it's not everything. Only the
>>> simplest strategies purely rely on speed for success.
>>
>> Which is 90% of all strategies of all traders.
>>
>> So statistics total refute you.
>> in a very very hard way.
>
> Our daily P&L statistics give us a different impression, but we are
> probably just to stupid to read them correctly.

If your software isn't duck slow i bet you have problems doing simple
trades.

It reminds me bigtime this discussion with a few government guys who
produce suck software keeping dudes busy;
they complained that 90% of the trades they tried to submit were
refused.

Of course it's easy to show then that this is because they're way way
too slow with their software - not seldom stil software
in the hundreds of microseconds latency, and hardware latencies are
not counted here. Nor the extremely slow nature of
built in NIC's.

In fact in a congressional hearing this fact also was mentionned -
again someone using that same software like the first guy
who complained to me - that 90% was getting refused; that obviously
means you're too slow.

Maybe hire better software engineers and buy a decent network card?