[Beowulf] DARPA issues 20 MUSD grant to nVidia to go from 1 GFLOPS/Watt to 75 GFLOPS/Watt

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 20 07:04:49 PST 2012

Right. Maybe they offer older tegra chip like the tegra3 for peanuts
now, as tegra4 is coming and it seems like real strong chip.
tegra4 would be total overkill for automotive objectively seen.
Yet sometimes you do not know - as they do ugly things in software
engineering
and mess up a lot nowadays there - suddenly requiring big
computational power.

There isn't a lot of navigation software that has been written real
efficient to give one example.

I could do it - i wrote navigation software before for automotive-
yet getting contract jobs there is difficult as they usually
use recruiters there who make more cash if they hire another kid dirt
cheap. The salaries i got offered for jobs there (amongst
others at BMW seemingly, with recruiters you never know that for 100%
sure) via recruiters,
they are pathetic for experienced engineers from first world.

Yet in the end they don't buy the car because of how the navigation
looks like nor how humanly
efficient the navigation is (lots to improve there!).

Of course a good 3d interface is everything there nowadays so if they
use a library which slows down and write 'compatible' yet slow
code, then soon you need that tegra4 already in case it's a
highresolution screen they bought in for next car - which wouldn't
amaze me.